View Single Post
Old 09-01-2008, 09:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 21821 / Power: 29
Big Sexy has a reputation beyond reputeBig Sexy has a reputation beyond reputeBig Sexy has a reputation beyond reputeBig Sexy has a reputation beyond reputeBig Sexy has a reputation beyond reputeBig Sexy has a reputation beyond reputeBig Sexy has a reputation beyond reputeBig Sexy has a reputation beyond reputeBig Sexy has a reputation beyond reputeBig Sexy has a reputation beyond reputeBig Sexy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All you need to know about STD ( with pictures)

Urinary tract infection (UTI)

Risk factors
Urinary tract infection (UTI) - MayoClinic.com

Some people appear to be more likely than others to develop UTIs. Up to half of all women will develop a bladder infection over a lifetime. A key reason is their anatomy. Women have a shorter urethra than men have, which cuts down on the distance bacteria must travel to reach the bladder.

Women who are sexually active tend to have more UTIs. Sexual intercourse can irritate the urethra, allowing germs to more easily travel through the urethra into the bladder. Women who use diaphragms for birth control also may be at higher risk, as are women who use spermicidal agents. After menopause, UTIs may become more common because tissues of the vagina, urethra and the base of the bladder become thinner and more fragile due to loss of estrogen.

Other risk factors include:

* Anything that impedes the flow of urine, such as an enlarged prostate in men or a kidney stone
* Diabetes and other chronic illnesses that may impair the immune system
* Medications that lower immunity, such as chronic cortisone therapy or chemotherapy for cancer
* Prolonged use of tubes (catheters) in the bladder

A woman's immune system may play a role in her risk of recurrent UTIs. Bacteria may be able to attach to cells in the urinary tract more easily in women lacking protective factors that normally allow the bladder to shed bacteria. More research is needed to determine the exact factors involved and how such factors can be manipulated to benefit women with frequent UTIs.

Sex health related questions click here.
WOMEN'S CHARTER click here
Sg law on sex related matters click here