PDA

View Full Version : Is genital herpes common in singapore?

Neveragain
19-07-2003, 04:35 PM
Hi

Is genital herpes common in singapore?

Does it carry a great stigma with it since it's like cold sores in the genital areas?

sammyboyfor
19-07-2003, 04:59 PM
About 30% of the general population are infected by Herpes type 2 - the strain that causes genital herpes.

80% are infected with Herpes type 1 which causes cold sores around the mouth but can also infect the genital area.

It is estimated that more than 85% of those infected do not come down with any symptoms of the disease. However, they can still transmit the virus to their sexual partners.

A study performed by the Singapore authorities some time ago also revealed that 50% of the legal sexworkers in Singapore are infected with Herpes type 2. However, since there is no easy way of testing for the virus, they are NOT checked for Genital herpes during their regular medical examinations for STDs.

Another viral STD that is very common is Genital warts. Again, there is no easy test for the presence of the virus and many of those who are infected do not display any visible signs of warts. Sex workers are not tested for warts as there is no blood test that can reveal the infection.

Condoms provide some protection but since both the wart virus and the herpes virus are transmitted by skin to skin contact, transmission can still occur via areas which are not protected by the condom.. eg the base of the penis and the scrotum.

All STDs carry a social stigma even if they are not life threatening.

Neveragain
21-07-2003, 01:53 AM
Hi

Thanks for your reply.

I have been surprised by your statistics.

Is genital herpes that common in Singapore??? (30%)

I felt that Singapore is still an asian country and is still quite conservative.

I think that the infection rate in singapore is much lower than that in the States.

What's your opinion?

sammyboyfor
21-07-2003, 09:29 AM
Singapore is not a conservative society. It just pretends to be conservative in the public eye.

Singaporeans catch herpes from a variety of sources including casual sex, commercial sex and unprotected oral sex.

Even though the infection rate is high, it must be emphasised that 85% of those infected are unaware that they are infected.

Neveragain
23-07-2003, 01:32 AM
Hi

I am surprised by the statistics.

Where did u get them from?

Did u noe anyone who's down with genital herpes?

Thanks

sammyboyfor
23-07-2003, 09:23 AM
http://www.edae.gr/genital-herpes.html

Originally posted by Neveragain
Hi

I am surprised by the statistics.

Where did u get them from?

Did u noe anyone who's down with genital herpes?

Thanks