PDA

View Full Version : Seminoma..Hydrocole...???

websurfbastard
21-12-2003, 07:25 PM
Forgive me for starting a new tread with the above topic...

Since this is a sex forum discussion, I would just want to find some enlightment with all the knowledgeable readers here.

Websurfbastard

newyorker88
21-12-2003, 10:02 PM
what is that???

fun4evergood
21-12-2003, 11:28 PM
I dun know too....can the thread starter explain? :confused:

cheongkid
22-12-2003, 06:47 PM
Seminoma is tumour of the testicle. Hydrocele is a medical condition whereby there is accumulation of fluid around the testicle.

websurfbastard
22-12-2003, 07:40 PM
I do not any medical brackground of sorts. But, these are some useful explanation of Seminoma. These information were extracted for the benefit of our samsters.

Seminoma

· In the US: Testicular GCTs are rare, occurring in only 1-2% of all male malignancies and occurring in 1 of 250 men by 65 years; however, GCT is the most common malignancy in men
aged 15-35 years. Incidence rates are 3.7 and 0.9 cases per 100,000 persons per year for whites and blacks, respectively.

· Internationally: Incidence of testis cancer has increased from the early 1960s to the mid-1980s. Nonwhite populations have a lower incidence than white populations. The highest rates are in Denmark (8.4 cases per 100,000 persons per y) and Switzerland (6.2-8.8 cases per 100,000 persons per y), and rates vary across Europe.

History:
· Common presentation

o Typically, a male aged 15-35 years presents with a painless lump he has had on his testicle for several days to months.

o Delay in diagnosis is common because of (1) a patient's failure to perform self-examinations, (2) a patient’s failure to alert the physician about the mass, or (3) a physician’s delay while treating the patient for presumed epididymoorchitis or testicular trauma.

o Patients commonly have an abnormal semen analysis at presentation, and they may be subfertile.

o Patients may present with a hydrocele, and a scrotal ultrasound may identify a nonpalpable testis tumor. Presence of a hydrocele complicates manual examination and identification of a testicular lump, nodule, or mass.

o Overall, in approximately 75% of patients, the seminomas are localized (stage I) at diagnosis. However, 15% have metastatic disease to the regional lymph nodes, and 5-10% have juxtaregional nodes or visceral metastases.

· Uncommon presentation

o Testicular pain, possibly with an acute onset, especially when associated with a hydrocele, prevents adequate physical examination.

o A testis tumor may become metastatic and present with large retroperitoneal and/or chest lesions, while the primary tumor is nonpalpable. Scrotal ultrasound may locate the primary tumor. Histopathology of the primary testis often shows a focus of tumor surrounded by fibrous scar, termed "burned-out” testis cancer.

o Miller and associates reported a series of patients with previous nonpalpable testes that were explored and incorrectly diagnosed as vanished testes. A subsequent seminoma was diagnosed intra-abdominally.

Causes:
· Patients with history of cryptorchidism have a 10- to 40-times increased risk of testis cancer; 10% of patients with GCTs have a history of cryptorchidism

o Risk is greater for the abdominal versus inguinal location of undescended testis.

o An abdominal testis is more likely to be seminoma, while a testis surgically brought to the scrotum by orchiopexy is more likely to be NSGCT.
· Orchiopexy allows for earlier detection by physical examination but does not alter the risk of GCT.
· Genetic changes in the form of amplifications and deletions are observed mainly in the 12p11.2-p12.1 chromosomal regions.

o A gain of 12p sequences is associated with invasive growth of both seminomas and NSGCTs.

o In contrast, spermatocytic seminoma shows a gain of chromosome 9, while most infantile yolk sac tumors and teratomas show no chromosomal changes.
· Other risks include trauma, mumps, and maternal estrogen exposure.

websurfbastard
22-12-2003, 08:16 PM
I have a posting regarding the topic Seminoma.

After much consideration, I realize it will be impossible for me to post all the relevant information for everyone in this forum. Nevertheless, in my personal opinion, I am still very presistant with idea that every samster should have a basic knowledge of the above.

Interested samters may want to spend some time with this link:

www.emedicine.com/med/topic2250.htm

Unknown to some samsters, they may think I'm starting a irrelevant tread. But rest assured, you will not think this way if you were in my shoes.

To put it short and simple, Seminoma is just like women having a tumour in the breast and thus developing breast cancer. As in man, you develope a tumour in your testicles which is diagnos as Seminoma if it is cancerous. If you are lucky, or unlucky should I say, you might end up loosing one of your testicles.

The above posting was posted with my best knowledge and would appreciate without qualms any comments.

websurfbastard

newyorker88
22-12-2003, 09:11 PM
Thanks! Even the medical terms may be too difficult for us, it is a sure thing to warn those out there not to take their health too easily. Do self examination? or shall I say be more observant abt one health? Thanks!

websurfbastard
22-12-2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by newyorker88
Thanks! Even the medical terms may be too difficult for us, it is a sure thing to warn those out there not to take their health too easily. Do self examination? or shall I say be more observant abt one health? Thanks!

Thanks brudder for your conclusion of the above tread. I do agree with you while going through the article, you will find many medical terms which would be hard for any layman like us to understand. Regardless of these facts, you will find after going through the article, most people gain a better knowledge of the above.

Armed with a better knowledge and information, one would then be able to self examine and be more observant of any symptoms.

As each and everyone has a different perspective in life. I am glad both of us think alike.

How much would I have appreciated if someone would have highlighted this to me a couple of years ago.

websurfbastard