PDA

View Full Version : Golf and Cheong - BKK

cyrus
11-07-2004, 10:24 PM
Are there any experience golfers here ... any recommendation ...? I need to pick up golf ... and fast too .. for personal and business too ...

Another reason to go BKK ...

tirak69
12-07-2004, 12:52 AM
Are there any experience golfers here ... any recommendation ...? I need to pick up golf ... and fast too .. for personal and business too ...

Another reason to go BKK ...
go to any driving range in singapore for lessons as they will have teaching pros there. they will administer the proficiency cert (PC) and then your handicap. all in it takes about 6mths to get your handicap the proper way. you can also enquire at your pro shop if you belong to a golf country club.

a quick way is to go to a JB or batam golf course and purchase a handicap card... not sure whats the going rate now... but it used to be about RM$300+. you will have to go with some buddies and let them talk to the course marshals who will make certain arrangements for you. but make sure at least you can hit the ball decently else its quite embarassing if you are playing with clients...

Sinoview
12-07-2004, 01:15 AM
There is no "short cut" to golf then put in hard work and money to get proper golf lessons.

Getting the PC certificate is one thing, but first you need to get the fundamentals golf swing right. To do that you must get a proper instructor and take some golf lessons.

The rests will depend on yourself...regular practices and detemination. If you go for proper golf lessons and practice seriously on the driving at least three times a week, after three months you may try to go on the course. But like Bro Tirak69 said...only Malaysia or indo courses and on a weekday and must be with close friends who are prepared to play be a fresh beginner hoh....

After having been on the courses for at least 10 times and with regular practice of at least 3 times a week on the driving range then you may be able to enjoy playing golf.

Don't expect any fast short cut hoh...even if you are talented sportman.

gigantic_tk
12-07-2004, 01:41 AM
Before you can allow to play on the green you need to take Proficiency Certificate Test (PC) were you must attend a workshop on golfing rules and etiquette, in accordance with provisions and standards set down by the Golfing Committee. Thereafter a 9-holes Course Test (depends on Committee assessment). The PC test will cost you $120 excluding the practice fee and hours spent in the driving range.

Perhaps Bros here want to contact this centre for more info.

Singapore Golf Teachers Federation (SGTF) Golf Academy
Karimun Admiralty Country Club
345 Old Nelson Road
Sembawang Singapore 758692
Tel: (65) 6754-5667

or

Daiman Golf Berhad
No.18 Jalan Pesona
Taman Johor Jaya
81100 Johor Bahru
Tel: 07-351 6813 / 353 3100

There are other places, Golf Driving Range in S'pore also provide courses.
(Toa Payoh, Bishan, Marine Parade, Bt Batok etc).......

Artic
12-07-2004, 03:14 PM
My opinion.....

Go driving range to practise your basics for 1 mth....then go on green with your frds. Personal experience, on green is totally a diff exp compare to range. But get some one who willing to play with 1st timer.

Then alternate between range and green, say once 1 week on green and twice at range. Within 3 mths you should be able to play with oter season players. Remember, golf as in any other sports, you must have the interest 1st, then you will pick up faster.

Happy golfing and bonking.... :p

Batam Man
13-07-2004, 11:44 AM
There is no "short cut" to golf then put in hard work and money to get proper golf lessons.

Getting the PC certificate is one thing, but first you need to get the fundamentals golf swing right. To do that you must get a proper instructor and take some golf lessons.

The rests will depend on yourself...regular practices and detemination. If you go for proper golf lessons and practice seriously on the driving at least three times a week, after three months you may try to go on the course. But like Bro Tirak69 said...only Malaysia or indo courses and on a weekday and must be with close friends who are prepared to play be a fresh beginner hoh....

After having been on the courses for at least 10 times and with regular practice of at least 3 times a week on the driving range then you may be able to enjoy playing golf.

Don't expect any fast short cut hoh...even if you are talented sportman.

Very well said bro Sinoview :cool:

Sinoview
13-07-2004, 12:19 PM
Very well said bro Sinoview :cool:

Just give my sincere opinion on golf.

For me after been playing the game for more than ten years and putting in quite a considerable effort in it, on a bad day I still played like "a dog". Sign.

Batam Man
13-07-2004, 12:34 PM
After that much has been said about the technical part of Golf, I will tell you a little about Golf and Cheong, and BKK, + Jkt (bonus) to actually motivate you, my fellow new Golfer…

BKK offers some of the best Golf courses in Asia. Since you are new and may not really know yet how to appreciate the good courses, so I’ll just tell you something about the caddies, of coz I’m referring to the lady caddies. Take for instance the Bangkok Golf Club and Panya Golf Club, they have 2 groups of caddies catering for day and nite Golfing. Those working on the nite shifts, many of them will come with heavy make ups serving you. And it’s the common thing to also bring them out after your game for dinner, few drinks plus whatever you have in mind. I’ve tried that once but it’s not really as enjoyable for me coz I don’t really speaks Thai that well.

But over in Jkt, kekekeke
There was once when we finished the front 9 and was walking towards the club house for a drink when some caddies waiting/resting in the caddy shade, went… halo halo abang me.
I went over, and they knowing that we’ll need to go on for the next 9, not wasting any time, asking me if “we” should go to the disco that evening. Of coz I answered her that I’m gamed. She said she finishes work at 6 and could meet me at a certain disco at 7+. She then asked for my HP no…
After having my short break, while walking towards the 10th tee box, my HP started ringing, it was her checking if I’ve given her my real HP no.
After that game I went back and reached my hotel at around 6+, again she called me on my HP, saying she was already there in the disco waiting.
And so the story goes…

Bro Cyrus, I know that the driving range can be boring at times. I can never last for more then 1 basket of practice range balls. For me, it’s no sand, no water cannot play lah…(not forgetting the caddies).
Now, will the above FRs be enough to motivate you to go get your ass glued to the driving range until you can get you basics right?
Sorry but that’s the ONLY place where you can go to at this stage till you are really ready to go enjoin all the funs you could possibly have with Golf. :cool:

Batam Man
13-07-2004, 12:52 PM
Just give my sincere opinion on golf.

For me after been playing the game for more than ten years and putting in quite a considerable effort in it, on a bad day I still played like "a dog". Sign.

That's what Golf is all about... :D

cyrus
13-07-2004, 02:51 PM
Hi Bros,

Thanks for the sincere advise and additional motivation factors ... going to BKK allows me to meet our only client in thailand from time to time since phom pood phasa thai(excuse lah) but to see my tirak (permanent) ... But I'm also serious about golf. Also checking around for good golf trainer too leh.

taipan
19-07-2004, 09:39 PM
Hi Bros,

Thanks for the sincere advise and additional motivation factors ... going to BKK allows me to meet our only client in thailand from time to time since phom pood phasa thai(excuse lah) but to see my tirak (permanent) ... But I'm also serious about golf. Also checking around for good golf trainer too leh.

Bro, since you are serious about learning this facsinating game called golf, my advice to you is to go to one of the golf academy/school generally found at the many driving ranges in Singapore. Better still go to one located in a golf course since you will need at least one lesson on the course with the pro. Cheaper and more efficient to pay for a beginner's package of 10 x 1hr lessons where a teaching golf pro will start you off from basic gripping of the club to swing, driving, chipping, putting,bunker shot, etc... Some essentials on golf rules and etiquette, a 6 to 9 holes round on the course then issue you with a PC. In this way, you will improve very fast in your game, having learnt the right thing and right way to swing the club instead of following a friend to a driving range and learn all the wrong stuff. It is very much more difficult to undo wrong golf swing than for one with no knowledge at all to start right.

A package like this will cost you, if you do it alone on a one-on-one instruction, between S$700 to S$1,200. Believe me, it is money will spent and you will progress much faster and hit much better than one to do it himself.

After all these, you can then proceed to Thailand and play 18 holes in the day the 19th thereafter with enjoy every minute of it. Happy golfign and cheonging.

gigantic_tk
20-07-2004, 02:32 AM
Truthly speaking, for a beginner never hold a golf club before to start playing golf takes time. Just to master the gripping and the swing alone needs lots of practise not to mention about chipping (this needs the skill to control the swing) and the putting of ball into the 'hole' which require the knowledge of the slope of the green. Obstacles like water ponding and bunker, needs another skills to pitch your golf ball out from these hazard areas. Nowsaday I seldom go to the course but occasionally will pack up and go to driving green to practise the swing and chipping lor...............

Anyway, just to share with bros here for a laugh moment another version of golf - Bedroom Golf, just for a laugh lor, not related to the actual golf topic.

The rules of Bedroom Golf.

Bedroom Golf is a game that has been played since time immemorial. However, because of the way layouts vary from, course to course, interpretation of local rules can be confusing, and uncertainties in terms of protocol, games can sometime end in dispute.

In order to promote harmony, the Bedroom Golf Sub-Committee of the Royal and Ancient Club of ST Randy's has developed the following rules;

1. Each player shall furnish his own equipment for play, normally one club and two balls.

2. Play on course must be approved by the owner of the hole.

3. Unlike outdoor golf, the object is to get the club in the hole and keep the balls out.

4. For most effective play, the club should have a firm shaft. Course owners are permitted to check shaft stiffness before play begins.

5. Course owners reserve the right to restrict club length to avoid damage to the hole.

6. Again, unlike outdoor golf, the object is to take as many strokes as necessary, until the owner is satisfied play is complete. Failure to do so may result in being denied other course privileges and permission to play again.

7. It is considered bad form to begin playing the hole immediately upon arrival. Experienced players will normally take time to admire the entire course, paying special attention to well formed mounds and bunkers.

8. Players are cautioned not to mention other courses they have played, or are currently playing, to the owner of the course being played. Upset owners have been known to damage a player's equipment for this reason, or ban the player from the course for life.

9. Players are encouraged to have proper rain gear on hand, just in case.

10. Players should not assume that the course is in shape to play at all times. Players may be embarrassed if they find the course temporarily under repair. Players are advised to be extremely tactful in this situation. More advanced players will find alternate means of play when this is the case.

11. Players should assume their match has been properly scheduled, particularly when playing a new course for the first time. Previous players have been known to become irate if they discover someone else is playing what they considered a private course.

12. The owner of the course is responsible for the pruning of any bushes, which may reduce the visibility of the hole.

13. Players are strongly advised to get the owner's permission before attempting to play the backside.

14. Slow play is, in fact, encouraged, however, players should be prepared to proceed at a quicker pace at the owner's request.

15. It is considered an outstanding performance, time permitting, to play the same hole several times in one match.