PDA

View Full Version : Qn: How to enjoy your M'sia escapade without a car?

watever
25-11-2004, 11:45 AM
Hi fellow M'sia chiongster,

A question from someone who just lost his car and feels so crippled.
Tried looking through the FAQs and can't find any help regarding this, just wondering if any samsters can help me with this.

Without troubling a friend with a car, what modes of public transport can I use in order to reach NY Spa???

Bus? Taxi?

I know there are some yellow taxis near beach road for JB trips. anyone has an idea how much are those???

Thank You for your help. :D

specter0123
25-11-2004, 08:04 PM
First of all, which part of singapore r u going in from?
From beach road u can either take the taxi (~$6) in or
take bus 170.

But it's easiler to juz take the mrt to kranji station and take a bus into JB
(CW1, 170, 950 etc.) same way back, from JB custom can take the bus back.

Once inside JB, juz flag a cab to take u to NY spa/ lion spa/ grand cont/ roman spa ...

Hope this helps. ;)

usmjordan2
26-11-2004, 05:28 AM
you also can call booking car service

9447xxxx

sdfr
26-11-2004, 05:48 PM

I know there are some yellow taxis near beach road for JB trips. anyone has an idea how much are those???

those yellow taxi near beach rd should be standard price so quite ok. they will take u to the JB bus stop near komtar.

alternatively can take bus from kranji mrt.
or take the singapore jb express from queen st i think.

once in jb can flag a cab (red and white ones).

note: they will over charge u, esp if u don speak malay and dress like a singaporean. but normally locals will pay about RM6 only for trips within JB city. (this was last year price. now dunno). can try and bargain... start from RM6 and say ur JB friend only pay 6 why charge u extra.

here is a malay sample:

"boss, pergi NY hotel. Berapa?"

"mahal la! enam ringgit boleh?"

and

"member gua duduk JB bayar enam ringgit saja!"

watever
26-11-2004, 05:58 PM
First of all, which part of singapore r u going in from?
From beach road u can either take the taxi (~$6) in or
take bus 170.

But it's easiler to juz take the mrt to kranji station and take a bus into JB
(CW1, 170, 950 etc.) same way back, from JB custom can take the bus back.

Once inside JB, juz flag a cab to take u to NY spa/ lion spa/ grand cont/ roman spa ...

Hope this helps. ;)

Thanks for all the answers.

Trying not to give up my regular JayBeeee escapades even though now crippled without a car.

The Kranji method sounds really convenient, so may just give it a shot. Thank you ...

Malaysian Datuk
30-11-2004, 11:29 AM
bro depending on where you stay, going to JB might even be faster than GL. walk, cycle, all modes of transportation also can. Too bad they shot down the idea of the JB MRT station years back.

toothbrush
30-11-2004, 08:22 PM
bro depending on where you stay, going to JB might even be faster than GL. walk, cycle, all modes of transportation also can. Too bad they shot down the idea of the JB MRT station years back.

I still feel cab and services no 11 is the best, can enjoy bio poo ying while passing by :D

gigantic_tk
01-12-2004, 01:54 PM

A question from someone who just lost his car and feels so crippled.
Tried looking through the FAQs and can't find any help regarding this, just wondering if any samsters can help me with this.

Without troubling a friend with a car, what modes of public transport can I use in order to reach NY Spa???

Bus? Taxi?

Just go to Queen Street, SBS170 Bus terminal. There you have your choice of transport to JB:

1. Singapore-Johore Express - S$2.40
2. Singapore Bus Service 170 - S$2.40
3. Causeway Link - S$2.40
4. Cab (Johore or S'pore cab) - S$10.00 per person - in car pool (need to
check it there****)

Alternatively, can take MRT to Kranji MRT station, switch to bus No. 170. 950,160 or Causeway Link. Fare to JB Immigration $0.80, Kota Raya -$1.00
and Larkin Terminal - $1.30.

Here, you have all the mean of transport to JB. The rest of the destination to JB HC, by CAB is the most convenient and the fare is about RM5 to RM7.

One more alternative for free shutter bus service is at JB City Square (JB CS).
The Shutter Bus Services is an loop service from JB CS to Plaza Pelangi to Pelangi Leisure Mall and loop back The timming from JBCS is 10am, 11am 1pm 3pm 4pm, 5pm,7pm,8pm and 9pm.

You got all the information already, can DIY or ONO yourself to cheong JB Entertainment Establishments at your own convenient time liao.........

chew13
01-12-2004, 10:21 PM
For now, I am sure you know how to get to JB from Singapore, so I will give you the local taxi rate.

These are what I usually pay.
Citi Square -> NY Hotel - RM4
Citi Square -> Pelangi Plaza - RM4
Citi Square -> Holiday Plaza - RM5
Citi Square -> Tebrau - RM5
Citi Square -> Sakura/The Store - RM5

When going back to Singapore, take a ride to the Malaysian custom, and for S$10, those "illegal cab" waiting outside the custom will drive you to anywhere in Singapore (yes, even Changi) with another 2 co-passagers.

Whenever you are coming to JB, try dressing like a local and you will get ripped off less. :)

gigantic_tk
02-12-2004, 02:36 PM
These are few places in JB which are within walking distance, not need to take cab.

1. Tropical Spa - Bangunan Johor Tower
2. Merlin Inn - Executive Health Centre
3. Bluewave Fitness Centre
4. Shop along Jalan Wong Ah Fook etc....Paradise Ocean etc....

Just start off with these few first..............................

Malaysian Datuk
03-12-2004, 09:17 AM
one more option, take the KTM train from Tanjong Pagar (S$2.90)

gigantic_tk
03-12-2004, 12:32 PM
one more option, take the KTM train from Tanjong Pagar (S$2.90)

Only at specific time. Last time use to have these Speed Bus(Train) to Holiday Plaza, weekend - at 10am and 12 noon. Return from Holiday Plaza at 2pm and 5pm. Never take these trains aredi, any new time schedule?

Malaysian Datuk
08-12-2004, 04:02 PM
Only at specific time. Last time use to have these Speed Bus(Train) to Holiday Plaza, weekend - at 10am and 12 noon. Return from Holiday Plaza at 2pm and 5pm. Never take these trains aredi, any new time schedule?Yes last time when relations were warm even had special direct to the country club for golfers. Now there's about 5 or 6 trips per day. Last train in departs at 10.10 SIN time, there's another slot of shuttle service at 7pm just started operations. Good choice to beat the jams on Friday nites.

trymeout
10-12-2004, 02:58 AM
Whenever you are coming to JB, try dressing like a local and you will get ripped off less. :)

sorry to hijack the thread... but.....

how to dress like local? I can't tell the diff between the dressing of msian n sgian, but those locals always noe i'm not local le....

boobking
10-12-2004, 04:55 AM
These are few places in JB which are within walking distance, not need to take cab.

1. Tropical Spa - Bangunan Johor Tower
2. Merlin Inn - Executive Health Centre
3. Bluewave Fitness Centre
4. Shop along Jalan Wong Ah Fook etc....Paradise Ocean etc....

Just start off with these few first..............................

Last time got the overhead bridge can walk to Bluewave from custom.
Now the bridge gone, any other short cuts to Bluewave?

gigantic_tk
10-12-2004, 07:53 AM
Last time got the overhead bridge can walk to Bluewave from custom.
Now the bridge gone, any other short cuts to Bluewave?

The overheard bridge from City Square to railway station can lead you to BW Hotel. The footpath is guided by 2-sided fences. About 300 metre and 10 minutes walk - save you RM5 taxi fare.

boobking
10-12-2004, 08:22 AM
The overheard bridge from City Square to railway station can lead you to BW Hotel. The footpath is guided by 2-sided fences. About 300 metre and 10 minutes walk - save you RM5 taxi fare.

Thanks bro! Will check it out this weekend.

Doctor
18-12-2004, 11:37 PM
Only at specific time. Last time use to have these Speed Bus(Train) to Holiday Plaza, weekend - at 10am and 12 noon. Return from Holiday Plaza at 2pm and 5pm. Never take these trains aredi, any new time schedule?

Hi Brothers,

Just to share some information, if you take a train into JB and take other modes of transport back to Singapore. DO NOT THOW away the ticket. Malaysian custom was demanding to see my friend's train ticket when we were leaving the custom. Lucky that he managed to find the ticket somewhere in his pocket, his particular queue was held up because the immigration officer insist to see the ticket.

Weird and cant understand the rational behind.

lcwleslie
19-12-2004, 01:08 AM
...Malaysian custom was demanding to see my friend's train ticket when we were leaving the custom..

My guess is yr friend passport was not stamped "properly", so the immigration officer was relying on the train tickets for proof of departure...

Quite obviously, "somebody" was not doing his job properly...

Next time, just make sure to check the stamp...may save u lots of hassle.

gigantic_tk
19-12-2004, 08:39 PM
Thanks bro! Will check it out this weekend.

Not need to check it out, I have already used that footpath. From City Square overhead bridge to Merlin Inn, NAZA Hotel and Hotel Bluewave liao...

gigantic_tk
19-12-2004, 08:45 PM
My guess is yr friend passport was not stamped "properly", so the immigration officer was relying on the train tickets for proof of departure...

Quite obviously, "somebody" was not doing his job properly...

Next time, just make sure to check the stamp...may save u lots of hassle.

Similarly, if you go by bus and the immigration forget to stamp your passport, upon return to Johore Immigartion, they refuse to let you return. This has been history aredi because that time the immigration make use of this opportunities to pocket some money from you...........few years back I recall the most tour bus guide always advise tourists to ensure their passport are stamped before leaving the immigration counter.

chew13
19-12-2004, 10:55 PM
My advice to all you guys is this:

When you are in JB and somehow realised that your passport had not been stamped and you need to return to Singapore, do the following:

If walking - Just follow the Malaysians and leave through the Malaysian lane, they don't check the passports of Malaysians exiting the country.

If riding - Just whizz past the motorcycle custom like a Malaysian. Don't worry that you are riding a Singapore-registered bike, a lot of Malaysians owns Singapore-registered bikes too as it save them SGD4 each day on the toll when they commute to work.

If by car - When alone just whizz past the counter like a Malaysian. If travelling with friends and yours is the only one not stamped, do not pass your passport to the custom officer. It's common for Malaysian to travel in the same car with Singaporeans. My wife is a Malaysian and they had never ask for her passport for as long as I can remember. Alternatively, you can just walk across the Malaysian custom using the Malaysian lanes.

However, keep in mind that the busier the custom, the less likely you will catch the attention of anybody, so try not to attempt this after 10pm to 5am unless you are riding or driving. Also, go get a plain dark blue passport cover, it will make your passport looks a whole less obvious. In any case, always try to make the effort to check that your passport had been stamped just right after you clear the custom, it will save you a lot of trouble.

Chew

easyeasy
20-12-2004, 09:21 AM
Similarly, if you go by bus and the immigration forget to stamp your passport, upon return to Johore Immigartion, they refuse to let you return. This has been history aredi because that time the immigration make use of this opportunities to pocket some money from you...........few years back I recall the most tour bus guide always advise tourists to ensure their passport are stamped before leaving the immigration counter.

sorry to correct you but it isn't that they forget to stamp your passport but they had as a matter of fact remember not to stamp your passport. this is their typical method of like as you say additional pocket money. worst if you are a good looking girl or above average. some male custom officer will take the chance to made it a very big hooha trying to scare her that she will need to go to jail for that and demand dinner date and such for his help which what he claimed is a very risky act and against the rule for him to help you and may cause his job and so on whatever rubbish.

i hope the prime minister of Malaysia could really do something about this guys like what he say about fighting corruption.

perrymason32
20-12-2004, 01:34 PM
Do not feel crippled. It's not much to get there and back.

From Queen St/Ban San Street, you can take:

Buses 170 and Singapore-Johore Express

Cab Singapore-Johore Express — S$7 or 8

From Woodlands or Kranji or Immigration checkpoint you can also take 170, but also 950 and some others I cannot remember the name of.

To come back, take the buses from the station you dropped off on JB side. For instance, 170 and Singapore-Johore Express and the yellow with blue bus, you take from Larkin bus stop.

Same goes for Singapore-Johore Express taxi. Some building near Kota Raya. I think it's called Plaza Seni. When you take it from JB to Singapore, it's only RM10.

When you reach JB and you want to go to NY Spa, ask the cab driver to take you to NY Hotel. You want to go to Roman Spa, ask to take you to Eden Hotel and Duty Free Centre. BW, ask for BW hotel, etc for Grand Continental etc. Actually not very expensive—even if the fella tries to rip you off and ask for RM10, that's still only less than S$5 leh.

gigantic_tk
20-12-2004, 06:25 PM
Do not feel crippled. It's not much to get there and back.

From Queen St/Ban San Street, you can take:

Buses 170 and Singapore-Johore Express

Cab Singapore-Johore Express — S$7 or 8

From Woodlands or Kranji or Immigration checkpoint you can also take 170, but also 950 and some others I cannot remember the name of.

To come back, take the buses from the station you dropped off on JB side. For instance, 170 and Singapore-Johore Express and the yellow with blue bus, you take from Larkin bus stop.

Same goes for Singapore-Johore Express taxi. Some building near Kota Raya. I think it's called Plaza Seni. When you take it from JB to Singapore, it's only RM10.

When you reach JB and you want to go to NY Spa, ask the cab driver to take you to NY Hotel. You want to go to Roman Spa, ask to take you to Eden Hotel and Duty Free Centre. BW, ask for BW hotel, etc for Grand Continental etc. Actually not very expensive—even if the fella tries to rip you off and ask for RM10, that's still only less than S$5 leh.

I used to take cab to Lion, NewYork and BW for RM5, now understand that the price checkup to RM6. To Eden Hotel is around RM7 to RM8. Better take near City Plaza Taxi Stand. Near Immigration's petrol station chances are you will be rid off. Experience at this petrol station asking for fare to BW, the mama and Malay taxi driver want to charge me RM10. Later I walk further up and call a taxi driven by a Chinese, he charges me RM5. I pay for a return on-call taxi from Lion Spa for RM5 to City Square. Just a sharing, perhaps, bros samster happen to go there by cab can update to confirm.

Malaysian Datuk
21-12-2004, 06:41 PM
Hi Brothers,

Just to share some information, if you take a train into JB and take other modes of transport back to Singapore. DO NOT THOW away the ticket. Malaysian custom was demanding to see my friend's train ticket when we were leaving the custom. Lucky that he managed to find the ticket somewhere in his pocket, his particular queue was held up because the immigration officer insist to see the ticket.

Weird and cant understand the rational behind.For foreigners, When you take the train and enter Malaysia from Singapore your passport is not stamp on entry......so technically you are illegally entering Malaysia thus the train ticket is your only proof. Upon exit then they will stamp your passport.

Malaysian Datuk
21-12-2004, 06:43 PM
My advice to all you guys is this:

When you are in JB and somehow realised that your passport had not been stamped and you need to return to Singapore, do the following:

If walking - Just follow the Malaysians and leave through the Malaysian lane, they don't check the passports of Malaysians exiting the country.

If riding - Just whizz past the motorcycle custom like a Malaysian. Don't worry that you are riding a Singapore-registered bike, a lot of Malaysians owns Singapore-registered bikes too as it save them SGD4 each day on the toll when they commute to work.

If by car - When alone just whizz past the counter like a Malaysian. If travelling with friends and yours is the only one not stamped, do not pass your passport to the custom officer. It's common for Malaysian to travel in the same car with Singaporeans. My wife is a Malaysian and they had never ask for her passport for as long as I can remember. Alternatively, you can just walk across the Malaysian custom using the Malaysian lanes.

However, keep in mind that the busier the custom, the less likely you will catch the attention of anybody, so try not to attempt this after 10pm to 5am unless you are riding or driving. Also, go get a plain dark blue passport cover, it will make your passport looks a whole less obvious. In any case, always try to make the effort to check that your passport had been stamped just right after you clear the custom, it will save you a lot of trouble.

ChewBro, dun teach the guys to do this. Get caught very expensive one. How's life? Not met up in a looong time liao. When to DG?

nabeh123
21-12-2004, 06:45 PM
I used to take cab to Lion, NewYork and BW for RM5, now understand that the price checkup to RM6. To Eden Hotel is around RM7 to RM8. Better take near City Plaza Taxi Stand. Near Immigration's petrol station chances are you will be rid off. Experience at this petrol station asking for fare to BW, the mama and Malay taxi driver want to charge me RM10. Later I walk further up and call a taxi driven by a Chinese, he charges me RM5. I pay for a return on-call taxi from Lion Spa for RM5 to City Square. Just a sharing, perhaps, bros samster happen to go there by cab can update to confirm.
Yup bro gigantic_tk are right
dont take those taxis waiting btw the coffeeshop & Mobil, all waiting there to tok sg chai tao.
Just walk straight to City Square to the taxi stand there or flag one along the road normally the price would be reasonable

Malaysian Datuk
21-12-2004, 06:49 PM
sorry to correct you but it isn't that they forget to stamp your passport but they had as a matter of fact remember not to stamp your passport. this is their typical method of like as you say additional pocket money. worst if you are a good looking girl or above average. some male custom officer will take the chance to made it a very big hooha trying to scare her that she will need to go to jail for that and demand dinner date and such for his help which what he claimed is a very risky act and against the rule for him to help you and may cause his job and so on whatever rubbish.

i hope the prime minister of Malaysia could really do something about this guys like what he say about fighting corruption.No lah bro....this is due to the old issue of the CIQ spat with Singapore. Malaysian immigrations has no authority to stamp passports in Tanjong Pagar anymore since Singapore customs moved to Woodlands train checkpoint and since they refuse to budge on relocation to Woodlands and if they stamp in immigration in JB then is loss of face to them. So now we have this weird situation.

Malaysian Datuk
21-12-2004, 06:51 PM
Maybe we should start a thread on bus routes, sometimes it's faster to take the bus when cannot get cabs at peak hours.