PDA

View Full Version : Best southern Thai sex destination for South Indians?

hermespan
01-11-2015, 03:57 PM
I am not Indian - neither mamak nor Tamil. However, I am a vegetarian and dislike fake meat as is common in Chinese Buddhist vegetarian restaurants in Thailand.

I have heard that Betong gets more South Indian visitors from Malaysia. At least compared to Dannok or Sungei Golok.

1. Is this correct?
2. If this is correct, are idly, thosai, banana leaf set meals, utthapam etc available in Betong?

Malay food does not cater to vegetarians. Although easier, neither particularly does Chinese. If the 'rewards' make living on fruits and nuts necessary in border towns, I can manage of course. But I tire pretty quickly of roti chennai, especially as the restaurants operated by Muslims (as in Bangladesh - trust me, I spent two months in Dhaka) have the annoying predilection of turning up chicken bones or goat meat in the 'vegetarian' dahl.

hermespan
05-11-2015, 07:29 PM
Danok

There are 3 or 4 Indian stalls and restaurants but none are anything up to the standard of Malaysia. There are something like six billion Halal or Chinese restaurants (maybe Chinese halal also) but the Indian places you can count on one hand. Keep it in perspective - there is only one Indian restaurant in Hat Yai. This is one thing about provincial Thailand that I find frustrating - the lack of foreign food: Korean, Vietnamese, whatever.

All the Indian places are on Soi India and the next street up or down, e.g. soi 6. *None* had idly or banana leaf meals such as are common in every Malaysian city I've ever been. I found an unamed stall and three 'restaurants' claiming to offer Indian food according to their signs. All are on the same street that has Indian-themed karaokes (it's hilarious to see SE Asian and East Asian women in South Asian dress.) Some of these quasi-operational restaurants can make arrangements in advance for a better selection, but I think for one person is unlikely. All places had roti chennai facilities. Going in the morning will determine whether they will have prepared the dough, dhal and skillet. Even the Hindu-run places are very meat-heavy. ZERO veg dishes. I am not pure veg and some egg or even fish wouldn't disturb me to be prepared in the same kitchen, but the presence of chicken and goat meat offends my sensibilities.

I will not name which ones are full service, but one is operating as a take-out brothel (no food when I came by, but five hookers present on the menu) Another's manager offered to find me girls. Do the Chinese restaurants do this?

Nothing would suit me better than a vegetarian South Indian restaurant with hookers available on premises or for take out - with uttapam and rava dosa! Haliya O Kosong, masala tea and sweet kisses on the couches. A pipe dream for sure.

Thais in the hotel service don't distinguish between South Indian and North Indian, let alone West Asians (e.g. Arabic) and South Asian (Sri Lankan etc) cuisine so it is hopelss trying to get recommendations from front desk or drivers. To them, it is all 'ahaan khaek', or 'ahaan Islam' and the concept of vegetarian is not Intuitive. Theravada Buddhists don't have an understanding of vegetarianism unlike Magayana Buddhists. Anyway, statistically there are no Tamils in Danok except the few business operators.

Danok is not Georgetown. But it's also not 100% Thailand. I'm not sure I like Danok. I've had to resort to filling up on the hotel buffet and self-catering (yuck, procesed cheese sandwiches) from groceries bought at Tesco,

hermespan
08-11-2015, 12:43 PM
Good news

Here in Betong...

There are one or two South Indian eateries in the nighclub area up the hill from SRI BETONG hotel.

Bad news

Today the nightclub one is closed. At 11:30 I was too late for idly. They don't make uttapam. The prepared food looked like standard Malay food (little veg). And because Diwali is tomorrow they are likely to be closed.

And It's costlier than in Malaysia. Masala dosa THB150

Tamil Malaysians apparently are not active on this forum. A Chinese man I spoke with on the street here said 'Indians are stingy. They don't come here' Well, firstly there is a difference between being stingy and less wealthy, and my understanding is that Indians (both North and South) tend to have less of a 'party culture'.

Bottom line: Tamils do come here. I have seen dozens. But a lot of them look like hoodlums, albeit polite ones in my encounters.