Samster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 91 / Power: 23
perrymason32 deserves a Tiger! - He's a Good Guy
Re: All you need to know about HIV

Hi bro MitMit:

(Yes, I'm still fighting the urge welling up in my didi to go get some FL action...But so far so good! My big head is keeping my smaller head under control...)

Anyway: Agreed. But there is a way around that, though not necessarily for everyone. (I won't mention if the AfA advocates this or is against it, so we'll just have to read between the lines...)

There's quite a trend among the HIV+ folks in Singapore who can afford it, to go overseas to get treated. Their closest, and preferred destination is Thailand. Preferred due to not just how close it is, but because the Thai government has been more aggressive in tackling the AIDS pandemic than other governments round the world--and this has meant a lot of good things done.

For one: Thailand has the only government-backed retroviral drug cocktail production, not sure if in the world, but certainly in Asia. Being generic (that is, unbranded) the drugs are sold quite cheap there (relative to prices elsewhere in the world, and certainly compared to prices in Singapore). So Singaporean HIV+ folks actually save money on drugs when seeking treatment over there.

Ironically: you have to have $ to make regular trips to Thailand for treatment, in order to get savings from treatment over the years. The poor, and the 9 to 5 office workers will have to have their savings depleted and even lose their livelihoods due to prejudice in the workplace after being exposed as being HIV+--will just have to suffer even worse, sooner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitMit
I like to add one important point here regardring about Doc reporting to MOH if one tested +ve. Even if u got tested +ve in AFA, your identities might be withheld. But you will not be able to be given treatment unless ur identities are reported. Hence its a clever collabration between MoH and AFA. W/o Afa many may not dare to get tested. And if tested +ve u have no choice but to seek treatment.