View Single Post
Old 29-05-2019, 01:20 PM
Samster

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 1740 / Power: 11
nono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant future
Re: Batam Info / Interest / Help Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJives View Post
I also have to start to plan for my retirement here in batam.. .getting soon to 50 liao.
Hmm...the thing about retiring in Batam for me doesnt mean i am giving Singapore up. Its more of trying to make both ends meet.

Some 4 odd years back, if anyone has been reading the old Batam thread before this one starts, on Samat the 81 years old security guard who passed on in Batam. He has a home there (in Batam) but still working in Singapore. Not a rich man, but his life in Batam...i envied.

What i found out about him after his death :

1. He is still a Singaporean upon death.

2. He goes back to Batam once every around 10 days or so for 2 to 3 days.

3. He didnt owe anyone money and is financially sound enough to afford all the necessities (even tho he chose to sell away his HDB flat but that was after he's 65). When i 1st know him, he's already in his 70s.

4. After he pass on, he left enough money for his family, or the least enough for his 2 children and wife to reach adulthood in Batam.

5. The Singapore consulate covers all his death/hospital expense. His family in Batam pays zero dollar.

I am using his life like some kind of a guideline, and in hope to do better. And following behind me while i plan my retirement, i hope others could do better than i did.

Looking at example of a good life in Batam above, i also constantly reminds myself one of the cleaner in the same old building i used to work in who also choose to retire in Batam. He didnt have a good one, in fact he pass on penniless. His life saving,inclusive his money money he got from selling his flat sucked dry...that guy from the way i look at it, completely didnt plan at all.

1. Stayed with a girl who already got a husband - not divorced,still alive.

2. The girl he stayed with got a 18 year old daughter, he married the daughter when she turn 19 instead. He is in his 60s then. (he passed on at about age 68,if i didnt remember wrong).

3. He bought a house (not apartment) in Batam under the girl's daughter's name.

4. The girl, her husband and her daughter sold away the house and ran away.

5. Upon death, according to his other colleagues, left behind nothing for his sister who helps settled his remains. I dont know if he owe anyone anything, but some of the security guards did lent him some money before (everyone in the building knew he often goes around trying to borrow money). He still owe me S$10 few months before he passed on which i told no need to return tho.

Needless to say, the cleaner's life in Batam is not what i am looking forward to. Nor will it be a life anyone who wish to retire in Batam would look forward to. Both person mentioned here speaks the Malay language and were Singaporean upon death and i have learned quite a bit from both before i decide on my retirement in Batam.

Hehehe...i remember i used to talk about sustainability. I am doing many fun stuffs in Batam today which might just help me in sustaining my future lifestyle when i reach my retirement age hence to me, Batam is like a RPG game for me.

Example :

(i am not talking about the cat in the photo below,hehehe..)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nono1973 View Post
(my new clock to bring to Batam soon)
Next to look upon would be USB charging lighter to bring to Batam,hehehe...what would most smoker do after finish using their lighters? Most probably throw them away, right...but what if a lighter can be charge via USB or from the power socket? Hehehe...such lighters do exist on earth,just that it cost around 20 over times compared to conventional lighters.

Friends in Batam who are smokers, i maybe coming for you around end of 2019...hehehe...or beginning 2020. Those who joined in my temple trip/s before, those lighters can be use to light incense too.

Let's do our part/s to save the earth together.

Enjoy Batam!

* see the fun now?

Basic Batam Info in One Link

Avoid quoting the whole post if you are replying to me in the thread

信言不美,美言不信。
善者不辩,辩者不善。
知者不博,博者不知。
圣人不积,既以为人己愈有,既以与人己愈多。
天之道,利而不害。
圣人之道,为而不争。

My December 2019 Batam Trip Info