View Single Post
Old 09-02-2015, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 620 / Power: 11
DoctorTan is a name known to allDoctorTan is a name known to allDoctorTan is a name known to allDoctorTan is a name known to allDoctorTan is a name known to allDoctorTan is a name known to all
Re: OCD about HIV after had sex in geylang Brothel

Well you said it yourself man. You are OCD. In other words you are obsessed about the risk of infection and are compelled to think about it over and over again. In fact, you probably feel very uncomfortable if you try to stop yourself thinking about it. That is the medical definition of OCD.

Putting the psychological issues aside, the medical approach to this is simple.

If you do the correct test at the correct time, it will tell you if you are infected or not. It is that straightforward. Everything in between, including worrying and anxiety etc, are all impractical. Being infected or not infected is a fact demonstratable by medical tests.

I complete agree with everyone else here that if your psychological make up is as such, you should not put yourself at any kind of risk. No matter how small. I have seen patients destroy their lives not because they have HIV, but because they are so anxious about it.

I had a patient who literally tested for HIV every week, sometimes a few times a week for 2 years. He has been barred from most clinics for HIV testing. He lost his job, destroyed his marriage and basically destroyed his whole life. The tragedy is that he does NOT have HIV! His anxiety killed him.