Samster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 172 / Power: 21
qbdp is a Helpful and Caring Samsterqbdp is a Helpful and Caring Samster
Re: Manchester United's Headliners, Articles and Rumours

Larsson Joins Manchester United

HENRIK Larsson faced a bigger challenge going back to Helsingborg than the one in front of him at Manchester United.

That is the view of the Swedish club's coach, Stuart Baxter, following the former Celtic striker's loan move to Old Trafford.

Baxter said: "It is easier going to United than coming back to your home town where everyone expects you to work miracles on a daily basis.

Advertisement your story continues below
"It is a lot easier to play when you are one good player among so many good players."

Larsson made a huge impact when he returned to Helsingborg after leaving Champions League winners Barcelona.

With his experience, they lifted the Swedish Cup and finished a creditable fourth in the league.

Baxter said: "Henrik came back here because he loves playing football. He did not want to sit on the bench.

"I do not think he is a centimetre slower than he was in the Champions League final.

"Henrik is in excellent physical condition and as fit as a fiddle. He works hard with me and still does a bit of training on his own. He is a great professional."

Contact

The move came about when Baxter was contacted by United's chief scout Jim Lawlor.

The two men had worked together when Baxter was in charge of the South Africa national side.

Baxter explained: "Jim called me and asked me if Henrik might fancy a temporary move to United.

"I told him he had turned down an extension to his contract at Barcelona and at least one move to the Premiership because he wanted to go home.

"But I said that maybe the move might be on as going to United for a short spell would not change any long-terms plans Henrik had for himself and his family.

"I said I would ask him and if he wanted to do it, I would speak to the club.

"Henrik took a couple of days to think things over then said okay. It went from there pretty quickly."

Baxter, who is due to meet United manager Sir Alex Ferguson later this month for a debrief, expects Larsson to be a success in his first spell in England.

He said: "A lot of people here think he will be burnt out but I do not see any negatives in this move.

"If you are doing something you are inspired by, you do not feel burnt out.

"I expect him to be a useful addition to the United squad - I think he will more than back up - and to come back firing on all cylinders."

Baxter believes the move will remain short-term and that his talisman will return.

He said: "Henrik's personal plans, as far as I know, include him being in Sweden.

"Certainly we see him as an important part of our restructuring plans.

"It suits everyone at the moment for the deal to be temporary."