View Single Post
Old 11-02-2020, 12:51 PM
Samster

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 1740 / Power: 11
nono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant future
Re: Batam Info / Interest / Help Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaze View Post
Aside to that,

It looks like everywhere has ran out of face mask(3ply 50s surgical) in batam, kimia, apotek, alphamart, top100, boston and guardian.
If you are looking into shops near tourist area, then 90% chance you wont be able to find any mask or would likely be looking at more expensive ones.

Manage to find one pharmacy opposite Da Vienna hotel still selling it at 150k rupiah for a box of 50s. The thing is, its at 2 ply. Saw an auntie took 2 boxes.

Wet market at around BCS area also selling too.

During my return on business class, saw a couple bring one carton back.

Its a Monday, custom officers didnt do the X-Ray scanning for Business class passengers. But do note that i am not sure how that works. My ferry timing was 550pm but the guy outside allow business class boarding pass holder like myself to go in at about 445pm,hehehe...which is why i can loiter around the Business class lounge inside the waiting gate for a very long time (with free drinks and snacks,hehehe...).

Ferry was filled at 20% from Batam to Singapore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PervMonk View Post
?Huh? Really that bad? Mine still okay except that the waitress serving me didn't know whatt is in the menu that is still available.
Its actually not that all bad,bro. Just that when the waiter in Gadeno was taking my order, he was actually talking to someone else. Not focus enough, lack of concentration. And yet he could repeated twice that the fried rice and flying noodle is, "no spicy, no chilli",hehehe...and he wasnt facing me when he said that. He was facing his other colleagues, seems to be in a rush.

Did you notice that the plate of fried rice got chilli in it?

Not blaming that chap tho, as it could be the fault of the chef as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PervMonk View Post
Worst experience was the duck king or something in grand Batam mall where me n my friend went. Ordered and waited for their super fresh food which never came as they might still be in the midst of harvesting after one hour of wait.
I think you are referring to the Duck Kitchen at the basement of Grand Batam Mall?

Tho food there was considerably good (nothing really fantastic or has any must-eat in it), my experience wasnt any fantastic either. I was with my parents and relatives, order half duck, came in 1/4 duck...hehehe...well, not that the waiter didnt repeat the order. He did and yet the order came in wrong. And during waiting time, there was one dish that came in wrong. It didnt belong to us but was meant for another table.

I think many batam restaurants i visit seems to have this issue, even when i was there during non-peak hours,hehehe...

I have similar experience on waiting. My experience was at Roti-O at Harbour Bay few years ago, i have about 1.5 hours before the ferry gate open, hence i ordered a cup of takeaway coffee and waited. When the ferry terminal gate opens about an hour later, the coffee isnt ready. The thing about this Roti-O cafe is that i need to PAY FIRST and collect my coffee later.

I paid and didnt get my coffee. That was the last time i buy anything from them. And i was very pissed. Their excuse? They ran out of coffee powder and needs to have it brought over from another branch. Did i get my money back? No, i didnt as i need to rush to check in.

Lesson learned that day, AVOID getting anger-ed during a holiday. It might spoil the rest of the day,hehehe...thereafter, whenever i order an apple and it turns out to be pear or orange. I can still keep my cool and be genuinely smiling.

My objective/s in Batam, to have some peace of mind, to relax, to enjoy myself ,to have a good time....blah blah blah....hehehe....avoid allowing small setbacks/issues to spoil my day. Batam is NOT Singapore nor any other 1st or 2nd world country, i try to keep my expectation low.

PS : Next time you are at Grand Batam Mall, try the Tiga Wonton Restaurant on the top floor near the theater. Good noodle served there. But keep expectation of waiter and waitress low. Reference link : https://sbf.net.nz/showpost.php?p=19...ostcount=15797

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Page View Post
A facemask should be used by people who have been exposed to 2019-nCoV and are showing symptoms of 2019 novel coronavirus. This is to protect others from the risk of getting infected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane88 View Post
...wearing masks dun reduce the risks of contracting coronavirus...

Wear a mask when unwell to prevent passing to others...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naka_Timo View Post
I put both hand and leg to agree. Wear only u are unwell to prevent passing to other.
Agreed with all above quotes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane88 View Post
the Wuhan hospital medical staff with full masks, gloves and hazmat suit also kena coronavirus becos just too many ppl dead with virus...

now best to avoid travel and crowded places...
Fully covered from head to toe also cannot stop being infected by the corona virus, let alone just by wearing a mask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitecrawllerr View Post
Hehe...complementary fm Nono. U very good in PR ya.
More like a marketing strategy, they were with me for 3D2N in Batam. I gave them one each (since my cost is S$0.04 each), the next following day, if they need more...they will have to buy (not from me).

These group in my February 2020 trip were the more educated type who could speak English fluently (those eat potato version of Singaporean). Not those hawker center or coffee shop uncles and aunties, hence they do know well when to do what during this corona pandemic period.

My mum just did the water and fire test last week on the S$0.10 mask, and they passed. Its water resistant and do NOT catch fire.

https://sbf.net.nz/showpost.php?p=19...ostcount=15820

I am still puzzled why are people buying from Batam when Singapore is so obviously cheaper and more easily available. Average cost per mask in Singapore Guardian/Watson is about S$0.23 to S$0.27 each. Online about S$0.30 to S$0.35. Anything higher in price require some common sense before commitment.

Lowest price i found so far online are S$0.30 each for 3 ply. So its around S$30 for 100s. I arent buying it tho,hehehe...

Basic Batam Info in One Link

Avoid quoting the whole post if you are replying to me in the thread

信言不美,美言不信。
善者不辩,辩者不善。
知者不博,博者不知。
圣人不积,既以为人己愈有,既以与人己愈多。
天之道,利而不害。
圣人之道,为而不争。

My December 2019 Batam Trip Info