View Single Post
Old 20-09-2006, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 1407 / Power: 0
Cheri_Popper has much to be proud ofCheri_Popper has much to be proud ofCheri_Popper has much to be proud ofCheri_Popper has much to be proud ofCheri_Popper has much to be proud ofCheri_Popper has much to be proud ofCheri_Popper has much to be proud ofCheri_Popper has much to be proud ofCheri_Popper has much to be proud ofCheri_Popper has much to be proud of
Re: Arsenal FC @ Emirates All Gunner fans fall in

Sanderson 'thrilled' by her England call-up

Lianne Sanderson has been drafted into the England squad for their vital World Cup qualifier against France on September 30.

The Arsenal Ladies striker was called up by national team coach Hope Powell after former Gunner Jo Potter was ruled out with an ankle ligament injury.

Sanderson made her England debut as a substitute in a 2-0 victory over Hungary in May and has started the new season in style, scoring a spectacular winning goal against Brondby as Arsenal clinched top spot in their UEFA Cup qualifying group last week.

"I got the call [on Tuesday] afternoon and it was unbelievable, I couldn't be any more thrilled," she told the FA's website.

"To be involved in the build-up to such a big game is the highlight of my career and is also reward for the coaching staff at Arsenal who have developed my game since I was a kid."

Sanderson's call-up brings the total number of Arsenal Ladies in the England squad to eight. Katie Chapman, Mary Phillip, Anita Asante, Alex Scott, Kelly Smith, Karen Carney and Rachel Yankey will all make the trip to Rennes, but captain Faye White is recovering from knee surgery.

England need one point from their final qualifier against France to book a place at next year's Women's World Cup in China. Powell's team have conceded just one goal in their seven previous qualifiers but lost 2-0 on aggregate when they played France in a World Cup play-off in 2003.

England Squad
Rachel Brown (Everton), Siobhan Chamberlain (Bristol Academy), Katie Chapman (Arsenal), Lindsay Johnson (Everton), Mary Phillip (Arsenal), Casey Stoney (Charlton Athletic), Rachel Unitt (Everton), Anita Asante (Arsenal), Jill Scott (Everton), Vicky Exley (Doncaster Rovers), Fara Williams (Everton), Alex Scott (Arsenal), Lianne Sanderson (Arsenal), Kelly Smith (Arsenal), Amanda Barr (Blackburn Rovers), Karen Carney (Arsenal), Jody Handley (Everton), Eniola Aluko (Charlton Athletic), Sue Smith (Leeds United), Rachel Yankey (Arsenal).