The Asian Commercial Sex Scene  

Go Back   The Asian Commercial Sex Scene > For stuff you can't discuss with your Facebook Account > Adult Discussions about SEX

Notices

Adult Discussions about SEX Misc chit chat about sex, whores, girls, love and lust. This section is a ZAP FREE zone.

User Tag List

Old 22-03-2021, 10:22 PM
Samster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 1054 / Power: 15
jacky43 has much to be proud ofjacky43 has much to be proud ofjacky43 has much to be proud ofjacky43 has much to be proud ofjacky43 has much to be proud ofjacky43 has much to be proud ofjacky43 has much to be proud ofjacky43 has much to be proud of
Red face Re: The relentless rising cost of living in Singapore

Incase I forgot. I have no %, just observing PR and new citizens. A group are self employed. They paid in come tax no contribution in CPF. Migrated they brought in $ and invest in property.

Yrs later the properties are sold off. The $ transfer to their families at home towns. An interesting thing. The older folks remain here and their childrens gave up ICs and return home with the $. Earned after selling houses.

We see increase in seniors rental housing. I guess it come from this group of people. Does gov lost? No they tax them. "Wasing black $". Where got so easy. I beginning to understands PR and new citizens since lock down.

Tomorrow is the 6 yrs, the passing of our founding father. He created a system that is very difficult to over turn. But a system where the lighting trap themselves.
Old 23-03-2021, 08:29 AM
Samster

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 224 / Power: 18
Angmolover is a Helpful and Caring SamsterAngmolover is a Helpful and Caring SamsterAngmolover is a Helpful and Caring Samster
Re: The relentless rising cost of living in Singapore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuasimi View Post
http://theonlinecitizen.com/2007/08/...-in-singapore/

June 7: Wholesale price of ducks goes up. The wholesale price of ducks has increased by 20 cents a kilogram. (link)

June 7: Eggs price increase. Eggs now cost between 17 cents and 18 cents each. (link)

June 29: Rental space rents rise. Islandwide, rents at Grade A malls have moved up by between 5-7 per cent in the first half of this year and could increase by another 5-6 per cent by end-2007, analysts said. (Business Times, June 29, 2007) (link)

June 29: Fees up by 14% on average at NUS. Two days before the higher 7-per-cent GST kicked in on July 1, prospective students of the continuing education arm of the National University of Singapore (NUS) received news that fees for many courses had gone up — by an average 14 per cent. (link)

July 1st: GST increased from 5% to 7%. (link)(link)

July 1st: THE Singapore Petroleum Company (SPC) and market leader ExxonMobil became the first companies to raise pump prices at their petrol stations following the GST hike. The two companies increased prices across the board for their three grades of petrol and diesel by 0.23 cents to 0.33 cents per litre from 7am. Caltex will be increasing its pump prices on Monday. (ST, July 1, 2007) (link) (link)

July 1st: NETS announced a price hike for its Electronic Funds Transfer Point-of-Sale (EFTPOS) and CashCard Services to between 1.5% and 1.8%. (link)(link)

July 1st: Pasir Ris – Punggol Town Council revise penalties for late payment of S&C charges to 2% and absorb 7% GST. (2004 rates) (2007 rates)

July 4:The Committee Against GST Profiteering (CAP) has found price changes to be generally moderate since the announcement of the GST increase in November 2006. (link)

July 10:ChangiGeneralHospital increases A&E charges. Following in the wake of earlier hikes by the National University Hospital and Alexandra Hospital, CGH this month increased its A&E attendance fee by $10 — or 15 per cent — to $75. For the B2 and C-class wards, the daily treatment fee went up by $1, representing a 6-to-10-per-cent increment. The daily ward charge for B2 wards also rose by $1, or 2 per cent. (link)

July 11: Starhub raise prices for cable tv packages. SCV subscribers pay $4 more across the board. (link)(link)(link)

July 11: The Committee Against GST Profiteering has received 33 complaints in the past six months about price increases, all dealing with food items. About 10 cases involve chain businesses. (ST, July 11, 2007) (link)

July 15: Electricity tariffs to be raised by almost 9% for July to September. (link)

July 18: Govt raises development charge from 50% to 70% for new building projects from 50 per cent to 70 per cent of the increase in value of the land. (link)(link)

July 15: Electricity tariffs to be raised by almost 9% for July to September. (link)

July 18: Govt raises development charge from 50% to 70% for new building projects from 50 per cent to 70 per cent of the increase in value of the land. (link)(link)

July 21: HDB rents at 10-year high. For the first time in recent memory, monthly rents for some HDB flats have pushed northwards of $2,000 in leases signed in the last couple of months. (ST, 21 July 2007) (link)

July 25: Hospital bills up 10% to 30% across all ward classes. (link)

July: July inflation hits 2.6%, highest in over 12 years. (link)

July (CPI): Housing costs increased 4.9 per cent because of higher housing maintenance charges, electricity tariffs and rented accommodation costs. (ST, Aug 23, 2007)(link)

July (CPI): Food prices went up by 1.4 per cent, mainly due to dearer cooked food, fresh fish, fruits, vegetables and milk powder. (link)

July (CPI): Transport and communication prices moved up by 1 per cent, reflecting mainly dearer petrol and higher car prices. (link)

July (CPI): The index for education and stationery rose by 2.1 per cent as a result of higher fees at commercial institutions and universities. (link)

July (CPI): Prices of clothing and footwear increased by 3.9 per cent. (link)

July (CPI): Health care cost rose by 2.2 per cent on account of dearer chinese herbs and higher charges for general medical consultation and dental treatment. (link)

Aug 2: SBS, SMRT seeking bus, train fare increases. If approved, transport fares could rise by up to three cents from October. (link)

Aug 2:Singapore Airlines raises fuel surcharge – from between US$2, US$5 and US$9. (link)

Aug 6:ERP rates at Orchard, YMCA and Fort Canning Tunnel to go up. From August 6, cars passing the Orchard, YMCA and Fort Canning Tunnel gantries will be charged an additional $0.50. That makes it $1 per entry. Rates for motorcycles will also double to $0.50. Goods vehicles and small buses will now be charged $1.50. Heavy goods vehicles and big buses will be charged $2. (link)

Aug 7: Student made to pay adult fare. (link)

Aug 8: 17% hike in Delifrance’s tuna croissant sandwich, from $5.05 to $5.90. (link)

Aug 10: Change of supplier sees spike in price of medicine. A 80ml bottle of Minoxi 5 from Trima Pharmaceutical used to cost $38.50. This time round, the price was $45.50 for a 60ml bottle. Going by volume, the price increase was a hefty 57.6 per cent. (ST Forum, Aug 10, 2007) (link)

Aug 13: Up to 30% levy imposed on hotel room revenues during F1 race. The Trade and Industry Ministry (MTI) has decided a levy of 30 per cent for hotels on the trackside, and 20 per cent for others. (link)

Aug 7: Student made to pay adult fare. (link)

Aug 8: 17% hike in Delifrance’s tuna croissant sandwich, from $5.05 to $5.90. (link)

Aug 10: Change of supplier sees spike in price of medicine. A 80ml bottle of Minoxi 5 from Trima Pharmaceutical used to cost $38.50. This time round, the price was $45.50 for a 60ml bottle. Going by volume, the price increase was a hefty 57.6 per cent. (ST Forum, Aug 10, 2007) (link)

Aug 13: Up to 30% levy imposed on hotel room revenues during F1 race. The Trade and Industry Ministry (MTI) has decided a levy of 30 per cent for hotels on the trackside, and 20 per cent for others. (link)

Aug 23: More ERP gantries, extended hours. (link)(link)

Oct: Starhub Cable TV sports channels subscribers pay $10 more. (link)

Sept 1st: New dog licensing rules. To discourage dog owners from keeping unlicensed dogs, allowing their dogs to stray or not muzzling dogs of breeds2 that are required to be muzzled in a public place (eg, the Rottweiller or Mastiff); the maximum fine for such offences has been raised from $500 to $5,000. (link)

Sept:Singapore Indian Fine Arts Society to increase fees from between $5 to $10 due to the society becoming a GST-registered entity. (link)

Oct: Public transport fare increase?

2007: HDB ups valuation and administrative fees for valuation report of flats. This is to include the new 7% GST. (link)

Quote:

Aug 24:

‘With rents rising, and some retailers not passing on the GST hike until later, we expect CPI inflation to continue to climb, probably close to 3 per cent towards year-end,’ said Citigroup economist Chua Hak Bin.

“Consumers Association of Singapore president Yeo Guat Kwang, who is also MP for Aljunied GRC, said if prices go up because of supply and demand conditions, that cannot be helped: ‘What we need to ensure is that price adjustments are fair.

‘So far, we haven’t seen a phenomenon of businesses profiteering from the GST rise,’ said Mr Yeo, who is the deputy chairman of the Committee Against GST Profiteering.

‘Most importantly, prices of basic necessities have remained stable.’

(Straits Times, Aug 24, 2007)

Other reports:

A relentless spiral by Littlespeck. (link)

CASE survey. (link)

Govt spells out fees to be frozen. (link)(link)

Unconfirmed – from internet forums and blogs:

teh_si - Price of Marigold HL milk up from $4.85 to $5.25 for two (13% increase) and Milkmaid condensed milk from $1.10 to $1.60 (45% increase). Han’s restaurant increased its price for breakfast sets from $4.80 to $5.50 from May 15.

Man in the streets- I was at the roti-prata shop along jln masjid having lunch with a client, I heard the kosong roti will increase to 70 cents per piece. CASE is sleeping or closing its eyes.

nannan82:Even the chicken rice I used to eat was raised to $3 from $2.5 dollar recently at hawker centre.

ITR Guy: My fav yoghurt was selling for 2 for 1.7 to 1.8 depending on supermarket is now going for 2 ****…

Apr 30 - ERP rates to go up at 5 gantries. The rates of five Electronic Road Pricing (ERP) gantries will increase by 50 cents for all vehicle classes starting from May 7, 2007.

April 5 (ST) - Beware spike in docs’ fees. THE dumping by the Singapore Medical Association (SMA) of private doctors’ consultation fee guidelines effectively deregulates the service.

Mar 31 (ST) - Motor premiums could go up as insurers lose money.
Hike expected as half of insurers are facing losses and cannot sustain premium levels.

Jan 20 (ST) - Big surge in CBD carpark rates. Situation could get worse as some 2,000 parking lots are likely to disappear soon. Carpark owners are raising rates - driving vehicle owners in the Central Business District (CBD) up the wall. Now $160-$330, monthly season charges will go up by 20%. The occasional visitor will pay up to $4.80 an hour weekdays.

Xen, Jan 17: Ya Kun stuck a statement beside its cashier, added 20 cents to its menu, and pushed its Set A to $3.90. Even my Kosong Prata went from 50cent to 60cents, effectively a 20% increase.

May 2007:Singapore Expats Forum: Our tenancy agreement is due to expire in 2 months time. We’ve just had notification from the landlord that he wants a 30% increase in rent!! (link)
I don't know about the relentless rise of cost in Singapore. But I can attest to the relentless rise of stupidity in people who post such topics in a forum named "Adult Discussions about Sex"
Old 09-04-2021, 06:13 PM
Samster (M)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: -7 / Power: 0
kuasimi is under Moderation till he learns how to behave

https://sg.yahoo.com/news/comment-he...035901193.html

COMMENT: Heng Swee Keat - Chosen as Singapore PM, chose to quit

Nicholas Yong
Nicholas Yong·Assistant News Editor
Fri, 9 April 2021, 11:59 am

SINGAPORE — The would-be king is dead. Long live the king - whoever he or she might be.

Heng Swee Keat, once proclaimed by the late Lee Kuan Yew as his most capable aide ever, has now joined the ranks of political could-have-beens like Anwar Ibrahim and Hillary Clinton, leaving Singaporeans to wonder what sort of Prime Minister he might have made. All in, he lasted around two and a half years as the heir apparent to PM Lee Hsien Loong.

In a televised Istana press conference on Thursday (8 April) that was open only to Singapore Press Holdings (SPH) and Mediacorp outlets, as well as the social news site Mothership, the Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister abdicated as the chosen one almost nine months after the General Election, amid a plethora of well-rehearsed talking points.

But while PM Lee and Heng's fourth-generation colleagues were all singing from the same hymn sheet, the end result was still puzzlingly, and maddeningly, discordant.

The 59-year-old first cited his age - he had belatedly realised that by the time the next General Election comes around, Heng will be in his mid-60s, and the runway for leadership succession will be too short. "We need someone who is younger with a longer runway, to not think in just one or two election terms, but think about the long term future of Singapore," he said, exhibiting the body language of a man ill at ease in the glare of the media spotlight.

Then there was the startling admission that he had not seen himself as up to the job from day one. Asked when he had started thinking about stepping aside, Heng, who will retain his post as Coordinating Minister for Economic Policies, replied, “I started thinking about it when I was appointed. I do not want to take on any job which I cannot deliver...And therefore, I've been thinking about it as to whether am I the right person?”

To further complicate matters, despite singing his praises amid a show of unity, Heng's 4G colleagues have yet to choose a new successor and said in a joint statement that his decision was an "unexpected turn of events". Even more confusingly, Senior Minister and Coordinating Minister for National Security Teo Chee Hean will be acting PM whenever PM Lee is on leave, despite Heng remaining as DPM for now.

The average Singaporean could be forgiven for thinking: what is going on? For there is no other way to call it but for what it is: a leadership crisis.

Something does not add up

Yahoo News Singapore contributor PN Balji, a former editor of The New Paper and Today, covered two prime ministerial successions in his career: from the late Lee to Goh Chok Tong to the current incumbent. Now, he said, Singapore’s well-choreographed leadership succession has gone "topsy turvy", even though Lee, 69, had already pledged to stay on till the end of the pandemic.

"The Singapore system is such that everything is well planned. Now Mr Heng steps aside and we don’t know who is going to take over. He is not going to be Finance Minister, but he’s still going to be DPM for a while. It’s all very intriguing and unsettling for Singapore," Balji said.

Balji was also unconvinced by the 4G leaders citing the pandemic as a reason for the disruption in leadership succession. "COVID-19 has been here for a year. Is it worse than what it was a year ago? And PM Lee has already said he will not hand over until COVID-19 is over. So what is the pressure on Heng Swee Keat?"

All this does not bode well for the People's Action Party, in the wake of last year's election that saw the opposition making historic gains and the PAP's vote share falling by almost nine percentage points. Since then, the ruling party has stumbled from one setback to another, whether it be the TraceTogether debacle or its apparent U-turn on the contentious tudung issue.

Come the next election, what would the PAP say if the Workers' Party, which ran Heng to the wire in his East Coast ward, or any other opposition party were to contest the GRC and tell residents there: you were duped into voting for a man who was supposed to be PM, are you going to be duped yet again?

First among equals?

With the benefit of 20/20 vision - no pun intended - Heng's unease in his role had been apparent for some time. One of the clearest signs that he might not be primus inter pares was his fumbling performance in a November 2019 parliamentary session.

Having proposed a motion that called on WP Members of Parliament Low Thia Khiang and Sylvia Lim to recuse themselves from financial matters relating to the Aljunied-Hougang Town Council (AHTC), he was meant to carry the ball. This reporter wrote at the time, "Instead, just minutes into the debate on the motion, Heng had to call for a time-out. He hummed and hawed, flipping through his folder like a student stumbling through his class presentation."

Tellingly, clips of PM Lee looking exasperated and instructing Heng on what to say in the session had been circulating online. The latter's reputation has always been that of a genial technocrat, and not a political street fighter.

Then came the 2020 election, when Heng made his infamous "East Coast Plan" gaffe and led his East Coast team to a less than convincing victory with just 53.41 per cent of the vote share. And despite delivering five pandemic Budgets, he was not at the front and centre of the government's efforts to combat the coronavirus, raising questions about whether he inspired confidence among his own colleagues.

Who will be next?

National broadsheet The Straits Times, without citing any polls or individuals in the know, has already anointed four men as potential successors to Heng.

They are: Transport Minister Ong Ye Kung and Trade and Industry Minister Chan Chun Sing, both of whom have often been spoken of as potential PMs; Education Minister Lawrence Wong, who has impressed with his handling of the pandemic; and National Development Minister Desmond Lee, the youngest of the quartet at 44.

With a Cabinet reshuffle due in two weeks, matters will hopefully become clearer.

But the damage has been done with Singapore's leadership succession in disarray. The PAP must move quickly and decisively if it is to reassure stakeholders on the domestic and international fronts.

It is uncertain if Heng will even be around to contest at the next GE.

Once upon time, the late Lee declared "I will now play goalkeeper" as he handed over to Goh Chok Tong. In Heng's case, he has called for his own substitution long before the 90 minutes are up. Who will emerge to see Singapore through the game?

Stay in the know on-the-go: Join Yahoo Singapore's Telegram channel at http://t.me/YahooSingapore

Related stories:

Heng Swee Keat: My age is key reason in decision to step aside as leader of 4G team

Hope for ‘clear outcome’ of new 4G team leader before next GE: PM Lee Hsien Loong

GE2020: I'm determined to see through COVID-19 crisis, hand over Singapore in good order – PM Lee

Most Singaporeans would choose Tharman as the next Prime Minister: survey
Old 09-04-2021, 06:28 PM
Samster (M)

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/heng-swee-...122950408.html

Heng Swee Keat: My age is key reason in decision to step aside as leader of 4G team
Vernon Lee
Vernon Lee·Senior Editor
Thu, 8 April 2021, 8:29 pm·4-min read

SINGAPORE — Deputy Prime Minister Heng Swee Keat said on Thursday (8 April) his age is a key reason why he was stepping aside as the leader of Singapore's fourth-generation team.

Heng, 59, will remain as DPM and Coordinating Minister for Economic Policies, and step down as Finance Minister.

Speaking at a media conference to announce his decision, Heng said by the time he takes over as leader of Singapore, he will be in his mid-60s and the runway in leadership succession will be “too short”. The COVID-19 pandemic has also shaped his decision, he added.

“And we need someone who is younger with a longer runway, to not think in just one or two election terms, but think about the long term future of Singapore, and of Singaporeans and the structural challenges, which will creep up day by day,” Heng said.

Such a leader will be able to take Singapore through to the next phase of nation-building, with the support of the people, he added.

Heng, who is also Member of Parliament for East Coast GRC, said he is glad that Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong is staying on to see Singapore through the COVID-19 crisis.

When asked if his health was a factor behind his decision, Heng said his health is good now and he is very thankful to his medical team for taking great care of him.

In November 2018, following his appointment as the ruling People’s Action Party’s (PAP) first assistant secretary-general, Heng said that he had made “a very good recovery” from the stroke he suffered in 2016.

Speaking at a press conference then, Heng stressed, “I would not have taken up this appointment if I do not have the confidence that my health allows me to do it.”

https://twitter.com/YahooSG?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed% 7Ctwterm%5E1380188537983692800%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5 Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fsg.news.yahoo.com%2Fhen g-swee-keat-age-key-reason-step-aside-leader-4g-team-122950408.html

In response to a question at the conference on whether the outcome of last year’s general election had an impact on Heng’s decision, the DPM said the results of the GE and in particular the East Coast GRC were not a factor.

At the GE, the PAP suffered its worst electoral performance since independence in terms of the number of seats lost to the opposition. The Workers’ Party won Sengkang GRC and retained Aljunied GRC and Hougang SMC for a total of 10 seats.

The PAP won 61.24 per cent of the votes cast and 83 seats out of 93 at the GE held amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Its vote share was a sharp drop from 69.9 per cent in GE2015.

In the closely watched contest for East Coast GRC, Heng led the PAP team to triumph over the WP team led by Nicole Seah, winning 53.41 per cent of the vote.

Heng revealed that when he was first appointed as leader of the 4G team, he was already thinking about the heavy responsibilities and tasks ahead, saying that the pandemic last year was a turning point for him.

“I started thinking about it when I was appointed. I do not want to take on any job which I cannot deliver. Those of you who have worked with me know I am a workaholic. And I put my heart and soul into what I do. And therefore, I've been thinking about it as to whether am I the right person?”

In a joint statement before the conference, the 4G leaders excluding Heng said they "respect and accept" the DPM's decision.

"We appreciate what a difficult decision it must have been. But no one could have foreseen the disruption of COVID-19, the great uncertainty it has created, and its long-lasting impact. We know that he has made the decision with Singapore’s long-term interests at heart."

Stay in the know on-the-go: Join Yahoo Singapore's Telegram channel at http://t.me/YahooSingapore

Related story:

DPM Heng Swee Keat steps aside as leader of 4G team, 'setback for succession planning'
Old 09-04-2021, 06:31 PM
Samster (M)

Old 09-04-2021, 06:37 PM
Samster (M)

https://www.theonlinecitizen.com/202...spore-leaders/

Leong Sze Hian’s crowdfunding success demonstrates how common people can weaken libel tactics by S’pore leaders
by The Online Citizen 07/04/2021in Court Cases, MediaReading Time: 3 mins read 88

Veteran blogger Leong Sze Hian’s crowdfunding success on Easter Sunday has highlighted how libel tactics by the Singapore leaders can be easily weakened by the common people through donations in a crowdfunding campaign.

Mr Leong, a financial advisor and blogger, initiated his crowdfunding effort on 25 Mar after the High Court ordered a sum of S$133,000 to be paid to Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong for the defamation suit brought against him by PM Lee.

The defamation suit concerns an article shared by Mr Leong on his personal Facebook Timeline titled “Breaking News: Singapore Lee Hsien Loong Becomes 1MDB’s Key Investigation Target – Najib Signed Several Unfair Agreements with Hsien Loong In Exchange For Money Laundering”.

The article, published by “Malaysian-based social news network” The Coverage, alleged that PM Lee had entered “several unfair agreements” with Najib Razak, who was the Malaysian Prime Minister at the time the deals purportedly took place, “including the agreement to build the Singapore-Malaysia High-Speed Rail”, according to court documents.

After just 11 days of crowdfunding, Mr Leong said that a “Miracle on Easter Sunday” had been achieved, noting that 2,065 people had contributed to the crowdfunding efforts.

A total of S$133,082 was raised as of Sunday, with the highest donation being S$5,000 and the smallest being S$2.91.

Speaking to Asia Sentinel on Wednesday (7 Apr), he branded PM Lee winning the libel suit as a “pyrrhic victory”.

“Thousands have written to me. It seems that the fear of the people may be turning into anger. I hope that this will be the last time that any politician will sue ordinary citizens for defamation (in Singapore), as they must realize now that it does not pay to continue to do so,” said Mr Leong.

While Mr Leong has managed to raise the damages for the defamation suit, he is still required to pay various costs comprising legal costs and court fees, which could amount to S$50,000 or more.

A Singaporean lawyer based in Hong Kong – who was not identified in the Asia Sentinel report – said that defamation lawsuits by the ruling party are intended to “punish critics” and “cripple them financially”.

“If one disregards the time and effort that the defendant has to spend on his defense, then donations by the public to support the public mean that neither of these objectives is achieved.

“Critics are likely to keep their silence for fear of the financial cost associated with losing these defamation claims. If the financial cost is covered by donations, however, this removes a significant disincentive for offering criticism, and could encourage more people to speak up,” said the lawyer.

PM Lee is also suing Terry Xu, the chief editor of The Online Citizen, pertaining to an article published on 15 August 2019 titled “PM Lee’s wife, Ho Ching weirdly shares article on cutting ties with family members”.

The article contained alleged defamatory statements made by PM Lee’s siblings Mr Lee Hsien Yang and Dr Lee Wei Ling in relation to the 38 Oxley Road dispute.

Lawyer Lim Tean, who is defending both cases, told Asia Sentinel that he hopes the two libel cases of Mr Leong and Mr Xu will be the “last of the political libel trials our nation will witness”.

“Henceforth, the PAP should know that any attempt to curb free speech using antiquated libel laws will be met with the full resistance of the people, who are not prepared to be steamrolled any longer,” said Mr Lim.

He continued, “They may win the courts but these will be pyrrhic victories. The real winners will be the common man of Singapore who are willing to pay any price to support their champions such as Leong Sze Hian and Terry Xu, as this extraordinary crowdfunding campaign has demonstrated.”

Mr LHY, PM Lee’s younger brother, was among the 2,065 people who had donated to Mr Leong’s crowdfunding campaign.

“I was happy to be one of the many donors who came forward to help Leong to pay off the damages awarded by the court. It is very significant so many Singaporeans came forward to express their support,” said Mr LHY.

Correction: Edit about the phrase used by Mr Leong on pyrrhic victory
Old 12-04-2021, 12:02 AM
Samster (M)

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/singaporea...062435406.html

Many Singaporeans feel CDC mayor salaries are 'outrageous': Pritam Singh
Nicholas Yong
24 February 2021·3-min read

SINGAPORE — Many Singaporeans are of the view that the salaries of Community Development Council (CDC) mayors are "outrageous", mainly because they are not perceived to commensurate with the mayor's roles and functions today, said Leader of the Opposition Pritam Singh on Wednesday (24 February).

"Other Singaporeans are of the view that the CDCs' functions can be carried out by other existing entities, or by ministries and statutory boards, including other organisations under the People's Association, particularly since the social footprint of each CDC is uneven, and can differ greatly compared to another," claimed Singh.

"Yet others simply don't know what the CDCs do."

There are currently five district mayors - Low Yen Ling (South West), Denise Phua (Central), Fahmi Aliman (South East), Alex Yam (North West) and Desmond Choo (North East).

According to the 2012 White Paper on government salaries, mayors are paid an annual salary of $660,000. This is in addition to their annual MP allowance of $192,500.

Speaking during the parliamentary debate on Budget 2021, the Workers' Party chief noted that $20 million was allocated to the CDCs in the Unity Budget last year, and this increased to $75 million a month later in the Resilience Budget. "This injection is equal to all the reserves of the CDCs put together, according to the CDCs' FY 2018 annual report."

The Aljunied Member of Parliament called for a "serious review" of the necessity of having full-time CDC mayors, suggesting that bodies such as the Citizens Consultative Committees (CCC) are more closely connected to the ground. He noted, for example, that representatives of market and merchants association are commonly represented on the CCCs, and there is one CCC for each ward or constituency.

It would follow, said Singh, that the CDCs' role in the CDC voucher scheme is potentially "superfluous". The 43-year-old added, "So it would appear to me as if the government is trying to find some way to make the CDCs relevant, in view of their relative absence in the public mindshare."

CDC voucher scheme

Last Tuesday, the government announced a $900 million Household Support package for families in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic. Under the package, about 1.3 million households will be given $100 CDC vouchers, with an additional $150 million grant to the CDC for this. Recipients can use the vouchers at heartland shops and hawker centres.

Singh asked the government to clarify if the CDC vouchers can also be used at supermarket chains such as Giant, Sheng Siong and NTUC FairPrice. He suggested that the current scheme be focused solely on heartland shops and hawkers, such as local provision shops, Chinese sinsehs and fruit sellers

"There's a risk that if this is not done, the bulk of the vouchers would be spent at supermarkets like NTUC, Fairprice and bypass the heartland shops. If the major supermarket chains are involved, the scheme could effectively mirror a cash top up."

He also asked how much of the $150 million has been allocated for the CDC voucher scheme per se, and how much constitutes the amount allocated for the administration of the program.

Related stories:

80% of Singaporeans think Budget 2021 will boost economy: survey

Budget 2021: Singapore expects overall budget deficit of $11 billion for FY2021

Singapore Budget 2021: More winners than losers

Old 12-04-2021, 12:05 AM
Samster (M)

Quote:

Nicholas Yong

SINGAPORE — The would-be king is dead. Long live the king - whoever he or she might be.

Heng Swee Keat, once proclaimed by the late Lee Kuan Yew as his most capable aide ever, has now joined the ranks of political could-have-beens like Anwar Ibrahim and Hillary Clinton, leaving Singaporeans to wonder what sort of Prime Minister he might have made. All in, he lasted around two and a half years as the heir apparent to PM Lee Hsien Loong.

In a televised Istana press conference on Thursday (8 April) that was open only to Singapore Press Holdings (SPH) and Mediacorp outlets, as well as the social news site Mothership, the Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister abdicated as the chosen one almost nine months after the General Election, amid a plethora of well-rehearsed talking points.

But while PM Lee and Heng's fourth-generation colleagues were all singing from the same hymn sheet, the end result was still puzzlingly, and maddeningly, discordant.

The 59-year-old first cited his age - he had belatedly realised that by the time the next General Election comes around, Heng will be in his mid-60s, and the runway for leadership succession will be too short. "We need someone who is younger with a longer runway, to not think in just one or two election terms, but think about the long term future of Singapore," he said, exhibiting the body language of a man ill at ease in the glare of the media spotlight.

Then there was the startling admission that he had not seen himself as up to the job from day one. Asked when he had started thinking about stepping aside, Heng, who will retain his post as Coordinating Minister for Economic Policies, replied, “I started thinking about it when I was appointed. I do not want to take on any job which I cannot deliver...And therefore, I've been thinking about it as to whether am I the right person?”

To further complicate matters, despite singing his praises amid a show of unity, Heng's 4G colleagues have yet to choose a new successor and said in a joint statement that his decision was an "unexpected turn of events". Even more confusingly, Senior Minister and Coordinating Minister for National Security Teo Chee Hean will be acting PM whenever PM Lee is on leave, despite Heng remaining as DPM for now.

The average Singaporean could be forgiven for thinking: what is going on? For there is no other way to call it but for what it is: a leadership crisis.

Yahoo News Singapore contributor PN Balji, a former editor of The New Paper and Today, covered two prime ministerial successions in his career: from the late Lee to Goh Chok Tong to the current incumbent. Now, he said, Singapore’s well-choreographed leadership succession has gone "topsy turvy", even though Lee, 69, had already pledged to stay on till the end of the pandemic.

"The Singapore system is such that everything is well planned. Now Mr Heng steps aside and we don’t know who is going to take over. He is not going to be Finance Minister, but he’s still going to be DPM for a while. It’s all very intriguing and unsettling for Singapore," Balji said.

Balji was also unconvinced by the 4G leaders citing the pandemic as a reason for the disruption in leadership succession. "COVID-19 has been here for a year. Is it worse than what it was a year ago? And PM Lee has already said he will not hand over until COVID-19 is over. So what is the pressure on Heng Swee Keat?"

All this does not bode well for the People's Action Party, in the wake of last year's election that saw the opposition making historic gains and the PAP's vote share falling by almost nine percentage points. Since then, the ruling party has stumbled from one setback to another, whether it be the TraceTogether debacle or its apparent U-turn on the contentious tudung issue.

Come the next election, what would the PAP say if the Workers' Party, which ran Heng to the wire in his East Coast ward, or any other opposition party were to contest the GRC and tell residents there: you were duped into voting for a man who was supposed to be PM, are you going to be duped yet again?

First among equals?

With the benefit of 20/20 vision - no pun intended - Heng's unease in his role had been apparent for some time. One of the clearest signs that he might not be primus inter pares was his fumbling performance in a November 2019 parliamentary session.

Having proposed a motion that called on WP Members of Parliament Low Thia Khiang and Sylvia Lim to recuse themselves from financial matters relating to the Aljunied-Hougang Town Council (AHTC), he was meant to carry the ball. This reporter wrote at the time, "Instead, just minutes into the debate on the motion, Heng had to call for a time-out. He hummed and hawed, flipping through his folder like a student stumbling through his class presentation."

Tellingly, clips of PM Lee looking exasperated and instructing Heng on what to say in the session had been circulating online. The latter's reputation has always been that of a genial technocrat, and not a political street fighter.

Then came the 2020 election, when Heng made his infamous "East Coast Plan" gaffe and led his East Coast team to a less than convincing victory with just 53.41 per cent of the vote share. And despite delivering five pandemic Budgets, he was not at the front and centre of the government's efforts to combat the coronavirus, raising questions about whether he inspired confidence among his own colleagues.

Who will be next?

National broadsheet The Straits Times, without citing any polls or individuals in the know, has already anointed four men as potential successors to Heng.

They are: Transport Minister Ong Ye Kung and Trade and Industry Minister Chan Chun Sing, both of whom have often been spoken of as potential PMs; Education Minister Lawrence Wong, who has impressed with his handling of the pandemic; and National Development Minister Desmond Lee, the youngest of the quartet at 44.

With a Cabinet reshuffle due in two weeks, matters will hopefully become clearer.

But the damage has been done with Singapore's leadership succession in disarray. The PAP must move quickly and decisively if it is to reassure stakeholders on the domestic and international fronts.

Once upon time, the late Lee declared "I will now play goalkeeper" as he handed over to Goh Chok Tong. In Heng's case, he has called for his own substitution long before the 90 minutes are up. Who will emerge to see Singapore through the game?

Related stories:

Hope for ‘clear outcome’ of new 4G team leader before next GE: PM Lee Hsien Loong

GE2020: I'm determined to see through COVID-19 crisis, hand over Singapore in good order – PM Lee

Old 12-04-2021, 12:18 AM
Samster (M)

Quote:
https://psp.org.sg/ncmp-leong-mun-wa...pa-budget2021/

NCMP Leong Mun Wai questions the PA’s huge budget of S$796 million for 2021

During the recent debate in Parliament about Singapore’s Budget for 2021, PSP NCMP Leong Mun Wai noted that the People’s Association (PA) budget was surprisingly high yet again, while many Singaporeans are still unsure about the PA’s exact role in society.

NCMP Leong expressed his concerns surrounding the PA’s staggering budget of S$796 million, an amount that is higher then other Government Agencies with more obvious functions, like IRAS or Govtech.

In 2020, PA spent $199m on events, but more than $441m on administrative costs. NCMP Leong sought clarity on how PA money is spent, in line with PSP’s belief that transparency in Government is an important tenet of a modern society that honours the democratic process.

Finally, NCMP Leong also sought answers about the political affiliations of PA management and volunteers. As a body that receives public funds, it is imperative that the PA remains politically neutral – both in its internal structures and its external activities in the different communities of Singapore.

As PSP continues to strive towards transparency of Government, our NCMPs will continue to seek clarity on issues such as the true role of organizations like the People’s Association (PA) that receive and use taxpayer money.

The Video for Mr Leong’s speech can be viewed here:

https://www.facebook.com/theonlineci...0391658990871/
Old 12-04-2021, 09:57 PM
Samster

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 319 / Power: 4
jaccy is one of the Best!jaccy is one of the Best!jaccy is one of the Best!jaccy is one of the Best!

living cost is high everywhere especially in SIngapore, that is the reason many college student dumped into sugarbok,com to search for dady, so their living cost can be covered and enjoy their college life
Old 12-04-2021, 09:58 PM
Samster

jaccy is one of the Best!jaccy is one of the Best!jaccy is one of the Best!jaccy is one of the Best!

Quote:

Nicholas Yong

First among equals?

Who will be next?

Related stories:

political always effect economic of country and living cost of people that is us
Old 12-04-2021, 10:00 PM
Samster

Quote:
Factually or half truths to sidestep actual salaries by PM and ministers? Why the lack of transparency?

Terry Xu by Terry Xu 17 September 2018in Government, Opinion3 min read

https://www.onlinecitizenasia.com/20...and-ministers/

In a post published on the Factually website, the Singapore government seeks to address two “falsehoods”, one being the Prime Minister gets $4.5 million in annual salary and it is not upfront about how ministerial salaries are calculated.

The post on Factually is correct on both counts to say that the government is upfront with how the ministerial salaries are calculated and that the Prime Minister is not paid $2.2 million as base salary.

In the two review reports (2012 and 2017) on ministerial salaries, the Singapore Government clearly states the amount of salary the Prime Minister and the political appointment holders get annually and how the figures are derived.

As for the PM’s pay, the $2.2 million is a total of 12+7 months of bonuses, (12 months salary, 13th-months bonus, AVC and a six-month national bonus instead of three months as the PM does not get a performance bonus), which works out to be $110,000 per month or $1.43 million a year for his basic annual salary. So it is also right to say that PM Lee doesn’t get $4.5 million a year.

But what the post does not address or trying to sidestep with its half-truths, is the reluctance by the Government or the Prime Minister to reveal the total amount of bonuses received by the ministers.

Non-constituency Member of Parliament, Leon Perera had asked Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong in a written question in September’s Parliamentary sitting:

To ask the Prime Minister in each of the past five years, what has been the bonus paid to Cabinet Ministers in terms of (i) the average total number of bonus months (ii) the highest total number of bonus months paid to an individual Minister and (iii) the lowest total number of bonus months paid to an individual Minister.

In PM Lee’s reply to the NCMP, he merely revealed the average performance bonus received by the political appointment holders over the past five years. Noting that the bonuses are computed with the four components, PM Lee failed to reveal the amount of National Bonuses received by the political appointment holders which then can be used to calculate the total number of bonuses for the past five years.

So to find out the total annual bonuses that the PM and other political appointment holders get, TOC calculated the national bonus based on the KPIs set to determine the bonus months to be paid out.

Based on the calculated figures, we see that the political holders get at least 10 months of bonus on top of their annual salary for the past five years. And note that the Performance bonus is an average so some may get more.

As for the Prime Minister, as he is not paid performance bonus but instead given a maximum of 12 months instead of 6 months of National bonus, this means he would get 13 months of bonus in 2017 instead of 11.85 months like the other ministers and political appointment holders.

Which translate to PM Lee getting about 2.75 million in 2017 (25 months) and 2.83 million in 2013 (25.75). (Note that the basic pay has increased due to adjustment with the top 1000 earners)

But as much as the PM may be reluctant to share who is being paid the highest amount of bonus, we ought to have complete transparency in the matter and full disclosure, as salaries of the Cabinet are being borne out of public monies.
sometimes, not all things can be expose transparently, especially when you are in the high position
Old 12-04-2021, 11:58 PM
Samster (M)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaccy View Post
political always effect economic of country and living cost of people that is us
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaccy View Post
please consider on your people life. What will happen if expenses always increase without increase of salary?
Old 17-04-2021, 03:48 PM
Samster (M)

Old 17-04-2021, 05:09 PM
Samster

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 122 / Power: 9
seanylit deserves two Tigers! - He's a Great Guyseanylit deserves two Tigers! - He's a Great Guy

how much would a couple need for retirement in Singapore assuming,

1. HDB fully paid up
2. No car
3. Couple reached FRS in RA account
4. Cash/investment savings of 500k at age 65
5. CPF savings of 200k at age 65

With FRS, the couple would have ~3k per month, the savings would provide another 2k per month up to age 95. I think 5K per month should be good enough right?
Advert Space Available
Bypass censorship with https://1.1.1.1

Cloudflare 1.1.1.1